Friday, June 6, 2008

Glacier National Park

I thought this was going to be a short blog, but we had way more pictures than I thought! Glacier National Park was incredibly beautiful. Actually, probably our favorite so far in terms of landscape. On the west side, the forests are lush and green with much more humitity than we've seen yet. This is a crazy thing to say, but we actually enjoyed the humidity better than the dry. Maybe because we're used to it. I'm sure all of you in the south can't comprehend that since it's probably 90 degrees with 90% humidity. It's much more tolerable when it's 60 degrees :)

We've found that it is a little early in the season for the National Parks the further up you go. We probably were about a week early for everything to be open at Glacier. The famous Going to the Sun Road was only partially open and what we saw was absolutely incredible. I want to come back later in the season sometime and see the rest of it because we heard that we missed the best part! Dustin read that to clear Logan Pass they have machinery that clears 4,000 tons per hour and it takes 10 weeks to do it. Crazy!






Lake McDonald in West Glacier NP


Logan Pass was closed on Going to the Sun Road, but we were able to bike further than we could drive. As you can see, it is incredible.


This is on the Trail of the Cedars hike. Look how clear the water is here.



We saw all of these mountain goats while we were driving on the east side of the park

Note the one on the right taking a little leak. I noticed that after I went back to look at the pic.



There were tons of beautiful lakes, streams, and waterfalls

Sunrift Gorge

Jackson Glacier. You can't really tell it's there because there is still lots of snow on the mountain. Maybe some of you glacier experts can see it.
I'm trying some new techniques with the camera. I've decided to self teach myself on how to use our camera. I've actually learned alot by skimming through the manual. Who knew that manuals were actually helpful? Hopefully our pics will improve as time goes on.

Mom, Dad---what is this? I've been taking some flower pics, so you should be proud. I bet you never thought I would do that, huh. We forgot to bring a flower book, so I'll just use your knowledge.

I'm right next to the waterfall (look closely)


We've resorted to sleeping in the car every now and then (actually the past 3 nights). Nothing better than free lodging! We're getting it down to a T and actually are quite comfortable now. This is Dustin's solution to street lights.


We're now in Calgary, Alberta and headed to Banff tomorrow. Banff is the one I've been anxiously awaiting, so hopefully we'll have some really great pictures of it!
P.S. We also added a Bison Video to our Bear Video post

1 comment:

lindsey said...

this blog has been highly entertaining for me here at work. ya'll look like your becoming pro's at this gig. can't wait to hear all about canada and the 1200 mile drive on the alcan! nell.. i think after this trip you should consider retiring that pink and gray hoodie- just a suggestion :)